M&A deals approved by the Kenya Competition Authority
Agri-Business & Food
1. The acquisition by Almasi Beverages of Kisii Bottlers, Rift Valley Bottlers and Mount Kenya Bottlers
2. The acquisition of Lord Erroll Limited by Koita International Kenya.
3. The acquisition of Ocean Agriculture (EA) by JH Verwiel.
4. The acquisition of Siret Tea Company by Siret Outgrowers Empowerment & Produce Company.
5. The acquisition by the Rai Family of shares of Sukari Industries.
Banking, Insurance & Finance
1. The acquisition of I&M Bank by City Trust Limited.
2. The acquisition of PSJ & Associates by PKF Kenya.
3. The acquisition of 66.66% of Mercantile Insurance by Colina Holdings
Building, Energy & Real Estate
1. The acquisition of shares in Cemtech (who were to put up a cement factory in Pokot) by Rock Field Corporation.
2. The acquisition of Economic Housing by Mali Rasili Group.
3. The acquisition of all assets of Mutonga Mutuandaju Small Hydro Power (a hydro-power project in South Imenti, Meru) by Intrepid Energy.
Health & Beauty
1. The purchase of shares in Alexander Forbes Healthcare by Zanele Investments Holding Company
2. The acquisition of the health and beauty business (cosmetic & hair brands) of Interconsumer Products by L’Oreal East Africa
3. The acquisition of certain assets & liabilities of RTT Health Services by Imperial Group
4. The acquisition of Lyntons Pharmacy by Luwada Management
5. The acquisition of Star Biotech Lab & Diagnostics (a pathology lab) by Metropolis Health Healthcare
Media & Communications
1. The acquisition of Alldean Networks Limited by ISAT Africa Limited FZC and Richard W. Bell.
2. The acquisition by EMC Acquisition, LLC and Emerging Markets Communication, LLC of EMC, LLC.
3. The acquisition of shares in Dodhia Packaging Limited by Corpak Africa and Corpark Kenya
4. The acquisition of the investment in Rodwell Press held in Interlabels Africa by Interlabels Industries Private Limited.
Oil & Mining
1. The acquisition of Aviva Mining Kenya by Africa Barrick Gold (from Aviva Corporation)
2. The acquisition of 87.25% of Pacific Seaboard Investments Limited by Tardigrade International Inc.
1. The acquisition of East Africa Safari Ventures by Natural Habitat Safaris.
2. The acquisition of 80% of Nairobi Tented Camp by Porini Limited.
3. The acquisition of Leleshwa Safari Company by Natural Habitat Safaris
4. The acquisition of Vittoria Limited and subscription of shares in Olarro Conservancy Limited by Arabian Ranchers Property Investments
Transport, Engineering & Logistics
1. The acquisition Swift Global Logistics by DSV Air & Sea Holdings
2. The purchase of 55% of Tradewinds Aviation by NAS Africa Aviation
3. The acquisition of 60% of Treadsetters Tyres by Bharat Doshi, Aashit Shah and Carlet Overseas Corporation.
4. The acquisition of 40% of Tredcore Kenya by Magister Limited
5. The acquisition of Vtechnologies (Kenya) Limited by UHT SAS.
Other recent deals in the News
1. Jacana Partners and InReturn Capital announced a merger, and plans for a $75 million SME Fund
2. 88mph and the eVentures Africa (eVA) Fund announced a partnership to improve investment opportunities
3. Does Tuskys Supermarket want to buy Ukwala a rival supermarket chain?
4. 90% of I&M Bank shareholders have accepted the takeover by City Trust Ltd and the deal makers have been granted a 2 week extension to reach out to the remaining shareholders. Next steps include a share split. mandatory acquision of the balance of shares, and a possible NSE-listing on June 12.
5. Airtel signed an agreement to fully acquire Warid Uganda – the combined entity will remain the number two carrier in Uganda with 7.4 million customers and a market share of 39%.
6. Fastjet and the CEO of Fly540 agreed to cease their court battles and work towards on acquisition of Fly540 – freeing FastJet to commence Kenyan operations.